Friday, July 12, 2013

Sushi train, other food and hair salon experience

The week of July 7th...
We found a second vehicle, a 1996 Honda CRV, very low mileage, I can't remember exactly but less than our car which has 40-some thousand kilometers. Got a pretty good deal on it. I've been keeping an eye out for any job openings. Re-submitted my application to be a nurse at the hospital, there aren't any actual open positions though. There's a opening for a Case Manager that I'm applying for, but it does say being bilingual is a requirement. I'm applying just in case they can't find someone bilingual. On Monday night we had dinner at Kappa Sushi. It's the sushi place that has the train/conveyor belt. The house also got invaded by mosquitos and gnats Monday night. We discovered that they were getting in around our screens...hundreds of them...gross! I was up on a chair trying to smash them for over an hour!


The conveyor belt is on the bottom,
from there you can just grab what you want.
If you custom order something it will arrive to the table on the train (top).
That's my dessert arriving on the train!
Dessert was the best part for me.
I think the sushi there is only so-so, but it's cheap, about a $1-2 a plate
Double rainbow we had after an evening rain shower
sunset from our back patio

Got my hair done on Wednesday! Was very nervous about it, I wasn't sure how much experience the Japanese stylists have with blonde... :\ Went to a salon off base called Prism. It was definitely an experience. I went to that salon after seeing several good comments about the place on Facebook. When I called to make my appointment I asked to have someone that is good with blonde. The receptionist spoke pretty good English so that made me feel a little better. When I walked in to the salon I noticed that the other 2 customers each had 2 people working on their hair at once. I filled out some paperwork, then my stylist came over and "inspected" my hair. She told me how much it would cost (8,000 yen/~$80) for a cut and highlight. I also got a $10 discount off that because it was my first visit. My appointment started out by her trimming my hair while it was still dry. After she cut my hair she changed my gown and started working on the highlights. Another stylist came over and started working on the other side of my head. It was funny because they'd both be working on me then one of them would suddenly stop and go do something on another customer then come back to me. When it was time to wash my hair yet another person came and took me to do that. Then 2 different people with blow dryers started drying and then flatironing. In the middle of the flatiron process the original stylist came and took over. She finished up and touched up the trim on the ends. It took just over 2 1/2 hours! I lost track of how many times they changed my gown. Maybe the process doesn't sound that unique, but it was weird for me to have so many people taking turns, I think several of them were apprentices/training. My hair did turn out really good though!
This week I also scheduled a trip to Tokyo in September for a Sumo Tournament, very excited! Had lunch with Keenan Thursday and went to a place called Sukiya. It's a Japanese fast food chain.

My food at Sukiya. I believe the meat was pork and there was 
rice and a curry sauce/gravy. Tasted good, but meat was fatty.

Went to dinner Friday night at Kiku Zushi with our neighbors. Food was great and sushi was much better than the mediocre stuff from Kappa Sushi.

Keenan's meal. On the left there's tempura fried shrimp/fish/vegetable with tempura sauce, then of course sushi and soy sauce, and in the covered bowl is miso soup. The washcloths above the tray are given before the meal to be able to wash hands. They are given at all restaurants here, but most places its not an actual cloth, it's a prepackaged wet wipe.
My meal. (yes, I ate it all!) Going clockwise starting with sushi, then tempura fried fish/shrimp/vegetables, tempura sauce, rice (wooden covered bowl), Japanese pickled somethings, miso soup, and seared scallops. Delicious!

Up next a day long excursion and a visit to the GATES OF HELL?!

No comments:

Post a Comment