Thursday, August 1, 2013

A Successful Hunt!

So quick update...still waiting on our Household Goods Shipment, but did finally get notice that it has reached Japan and will be delivered on August 8th!!! We cannot wait!

My obsession of finding a glass fishing float or many of them has made me into quite the beachcomber! I have been wandering some beach or another at least once a week hoping that I can find a float one of these times. I have found lots of interesting things but no glass floats. I think this was around the 7th time I'd searched and not sure how many hours worth, but it was plenty. Most of my searches had been in the afternoon and I'd heard that just after sunrise was the best time to look. Right now the sun is rising around 4am so that would mean leaving the house around 3am...I'm not that crazy or desperate...yet.

Today (August 1st) I decided that I would get going early and try my luck at Shipwreck Beach on the Mutsu Bay (see previous post "Shipwreck Beach(first visit)" for a map of the location). It's about an hour drive away. I left the house a little before 7am and got there just after 8am. Unfortunately, I was not the first person there, so my hopes of finding a float quickly disappeared, but at least I was able to collect some sea glass.


This was a giant plastic float, it had obviously been floating
in the bay for a long time before it ever made it to shore.


From Shipwreck Beach I decided to drive to another beach and try my luck there. I was not hopeful because it was almost noon by now. 


There must have been some strong waves very recently because usually this beach
has a gentle slope, not carved out sand dunes like it had today

I was nearing the end of my search when I turned around and saw this! I honestly couldn't believe it at first! This is a roller or rolling pin shaped float. Woohoo!

Another giant plastic float covered in barnacles...

I went to one more beach on a whim before calling it a day. And found this interesting float. It was heavier than a plastic float, but appeared to be rubber. There was a small space in the rubber that looked like maybe there was something glass inside?? I took it home to investigate.

Toy ship, just crazy to think where it could have come from...
A random field.
I am amazed at how dark and fine the soil is around Misawa.
Random phone booth,
literally in the middle of nowhere....

Here's what I found when I got home into some better light. There was indeed a glass float inside a rubber/plastic case. This thing looked disgusting and smelled even worse. It may have been cool to keep it to try and see what the markings meant, but it was just too gross. Pictures will have to do for me.

Top view.
Side view.
Bottom view.

Taaadaaa!!

Here's my findings from today!
I think I'll leave the coral on this one,
proof of its long voyage in the ocean :)

So exciting to have actually found not one, but 2 floats today. And it only took about 8 hours of hunting today, plus 6 previous searches......

Up next: Akita Kanto Festival!

No comments:

Post a Comment