Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Our local grocery store has this... & Here's to the New Year!

Haven't taken many pictures when I'm at the local stores off base. I should take more, the selections are interesting! Slowly I'll get some of each department. Here's a few of the sushi and bakery selections at one of the stores. It's hard not to buy "bread treats" every time we're there. Japanese people love their bread and pastries even though they're not a traditional Japanese food. 


980¥ = $9.80 for the entire tray...pretty good deal!
The bottom trays are ~$20.
There are hot dogs in all of these.
Hot dogs on top shelf, bacon, eggs and
mayo on the bottom.
Variety of sandwiches.

It's hard to believe that all of these pastries just sit out at room temperature when so many of them are made with meat. I don't see that being "ok" at stores in the USA! Can't say I'd feel comfortable eating meat or shrimp that had been sitting out for an unknown amount of time! I'll stick to the sweet stuff or ones with baked cheese!

Shrimp and broccoli pizza.
Sausage (or is it hot dog?) pizza.


December 30, 2013...may have been his best day in Japan so far? We happened to stop into the Shoppette and they had Busch Light! Soooo exciting, right? I know I could hardly contain my enthusiasm (sarcasm). Haha! This is the first time we've seen it since moving here...it might be a one time thing. Guess we'll see...




For New Year's Eve we went to the Club on base. I think we paid $20ish for each ticket and when we got there we each got a gift card for $20 so it was kind of free? We won one of the first prizes that they gave away. A fancy Keurig coffee machine...of course the only non-coffee drinkers in the world would win that! Oh well, always fun to win something! The band that came all the way to Misawa to entertain us was not very good and the lead singer lady was "different" but not in a good, fun, entertaining way. It was hard to avoid her coming up to you while she roamed the crowd singing. At one point she pulled my hair to try to get my attention, but I did not want to become part of her weird show so I ignored her...anyone who knows me knows it's hard to get me to sing out loud in a public place...oh wait...I've haven't done that since elementary school...that's how hard it is...




New Year's Day we tried our hand at making some prime rib...turned out delicious! On the side: green bean casserole, corn casserole, jello fruit fluff stuff, homemade au jus and creamy horseradish sauce. And a Shiraz since that's my favorite red wine.




Happy New Year! Here's to a great 2014 filled with more love and adventures! Not sure what the year will have in store for us, I'm sure there will be some bumps and surprises, but could anything really top last year's move to Japan?? I suppose it's possible, not likely though. 


Up next: Hitting the slopes at Okunakayama!

No comments:

Post a Comment